Professor or Reader in Energy, Sustainability and Society
Aberdeen Business School is an active and vibrant academic community with excellent engagement with students and industrial partners. Recognition of the School’s achievements include international accreditations for each of our taught courses, AACSB and BGA accreditation, award of The Small Business Charter and most notably being named as the THE Business School of the Year in 2020. We are proud of the experience that we offer, and the value that we add, to students and we are consistently rated as one of the top UK Business Schools in the NSS and report excellent student destination returns.
The School is now seeking to expand their team of senior, research orientated academics with a view to building on the impactful research currently being undertaken within the School and enhance our thought leadership and reputation in the fields of energy, sustainability and society, one of two major research interests within the School. We are therefore seeking ambitious candidates for Readership or Professor appointments to provide additional expertise in an area of growth and increasing focus within the School.
These new roles in Aberdeen Business School will provide academic direction in an area relating to the work of the Energy, Sustainability and Society Research Group. The Group aims to facilitate and inspire new investigations of contemporary societal issues, such as leadership, resilience, work and well-being, energy and sustainability. We are particularly interested in those working internationally to consider challenges relating to the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the associated 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
The successful candidate will be a recognized expert on an area of business, management, accounting, finance or economics, with an international presence in their field. They will deliver subject expertise to our community of stakeholders, make a full contribution to the School’s research objectives, and enhance and enrich our research environment, activities and outputs.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment within an ambitious and growing Business School with fully accessible working facilities. We welcome diversity amongst our community and are interested to hear from and work with, candidates from all backgrounds. We know that staff want to find a productive work/life balance and as well as offering a hybrid working policy, we would encourage applications from those seeking part-time working patterns.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to the Dean Professor Elizabeth Gammie - email@example.com or the Academic Strategic Lead for Research, Professor Zoe Morrison, firstname.lastname@example.org
Reader: £61,818 - £63,668
Professor Zone 1: £65,574 - £73,151
Whilst the advertised salary spans from £61,818 to £111,781, it is most likely we will appoint to Professorial Zone 1. If you do not meet the professorial criteria, you may be considered as a Reader.
This post is subject to a Disclosure Scotland check. For more information visit: https://www.mygov.scot/basic-disclosure/
Part-time applicants that will require sponsorship may be considered in line with UKVI sponsorship requirements
Relocation assistance may be available for this post, subject to conditions. For more information, visit: Relocation Policy
RESPONSIBLE TO: Academic Strategic Lead for Research
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Research active staff as required
PURPOSE OF POST: To make a significant contribution to both the research and educational practice activities of Aberdeen Business School. The post holder will be required to contribute to the University's objective of growing our academic reputation for research-informed student teaching and learning, innovation and integrated academic practice, to conduct individual and collaborative research projects including supervision of such projects, generate grant income and contribute to the research profile leading to the production of research outcomes. They would also be expected to actively shape the future strategic development of energy, sustainability and society teaching within the School and deliver evidence-based thought leadership credit bearing courses and commercial seminars.
1. Work with the Dean of School and Academic Strategic Lead for Research to develop a programme of research that fits with the School's research strategy;
2. Develop a programme of externally funded research work that fits within the School's research strategy;
3. Publish work which as a minimum meets the University's expectations for the publication of REF-submissible outputs;
4. Work with the Academic Strategic Leads to develop research capability within the School;
5. Support research active staff within the school to contribute to the school research strategy;
6. Mentor research active staff and early career researchers within the school to increase publication in peer reviewed journals;
7. Build research partnerships between the School and national and international partners.
1. Provide high quality education and continuing professional development for students and practitioners;
2. Contribute to evidence-based education at both undergraduate, postgraduate and executive levels;
3. Supervise post-graduate research students;
4. Contribute to the development of research supervisors to enhance the school capacity for supervision;
5. Support the leadership and development of academic standards within the School;
6. Contribute to the research and practice development agenda within partner institutions;
7. Demonstrate an active commitment to continuing professional development in relation to education and reflective learning.
1. Provide leadership in research to staff within the School;
2. Promote a culture of research and practice innovation within the School;
3. Make an ongoing contribution within the discipline field regionally, nationally and internationally;
4. Support and encourage early career researchers and individuals with research potential to develop their careers though encouraging applications for scholarships/studentships;
5. Contribute to academic leadership within the wider university and within their academic field at regional, national and international levels.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
PhD in an appropriate field.
Specialist knowledge in related areas which has led to an international reputation in the field and a demonstrable record of research impact and excellence.
Evidence of extensive research, impact and knowledge exchange experience;
Published extensively in peer reviewed journals at minimum of 2* quality;
Significant experience in attracting research funding;
Ability to act in a leadership capacity as a research enabler, with a focus on a distinct research agenda and academic profile of work;
Evidence of extensive teaching experience with proven track record of discipline development and delivery to a varied audience;
Recruiting and supervising Research Degree students to completion;
Aptitude to mentor, coach and motivate a team;
Ability to work under their own initiative to deliver agreed objectives and goals.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Post-graduate professionally accredited qualification(s) in a related field.
Understanding of professional body and/or AACSB accreditation;
Understanding of research and knowledge exchange funding administration and governance;
Awareness of and commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion in Higher Education.
Active membership of relevant professional body;
Successful student completions at doctoral level;
Initiation and implementation of continuous improvement within an academic context;
Contributing to research income targets by leading the development of research proposals as Principal Investigator;
Ability to collaborate effectively with a range of partners to sustain scholarly activities.